Saturday, November 17, 2018

Events Week for Lung Cancer Awareness Month


Misty Morning at Shelby Park
Today I met Monica Addington. Monica lost her father to lung cancer some years back, in the time before testing for genetic drivers, targeted therapies, and immunotherapies had become part of lung cancer diagnosis and treatment. She and her family and friends founded Lungevity's Nashville Breathe Deep Stache & Lash 5k/1.5 mile Run/Walk, and after several years of building the event, they passed the torch to the current organizing team, Erica Collins, Robert Pirtle, Tara Watson, and me. My organizing teammates, who have been involved with the race since its early days, also have each lost someone to lung cancer, and Robert, like me, is a cancer survivor.

After the race on this cold and foggy morning, I was invited to say a few words to the participants. I hope I did a good job expressing my gratitude to everyone there. I wanted them to know that it is because of them, because of their support and their hope, that I and Robert and other lung cancer patients have been the direct beneficiaries of lung cancer research.
The Lit Wits! My friends and colleagues from Vol State. They have supported me like family!
Erica and Tara
Robert and family.
Afterwards, Monica introduced herself to me. Both of us were pretty emotional as she told me how much it meant to her to see someone like me, someone like Robert, there at the event, people with advanced stage cancer who are living normal lives. And that's one of the amazing things about research now; it's moving more quickly at last, and therapies that were not available just a few years ago have since been developed and are having a huge impact. We still don't have a cure for all lung cancers, but we are moving toward one every day, with the help of all the donors, the walkers, the organizers, the sponsors, the foundation folks.

Monica, who lost her dad not so very long ago, and all the current organizers have worked to make hope a reality for people diagnosed with lung cancer. And those efforts are beginning to pay off as we finally see more progress being made. I say this over and over again – lung cancer kills more people in the U.S. than any other cancer, and yet lung cancer research receives only 6% of federal cancer research funding. So it is up to foundations like Lungevity and the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation to make up the difference.

Addario Dinner
Addario Dinner
Today so many people: my family, my wonderful friends and work colleagues from Vol State, my new friends from Lungevity Erica, Tara, and Robert and their families, our donors and supporters and other walkers, and I put our energy into a Lungevity event. Early this week, we had an event for the Addario Foundation, a beautiful fundraising dinner and silent auction at Lyra, one of our most favorite restaurants in Nashville, owned by our lovely friends Chef Hrant Arakelian and his wife Liz. Hrant created a delicious, generous, multi-course menu for our party of eighteen. The Middle Eastern, Mediterranean dishes and the wine just kept on coming, and everyone could taste the love. We also had silent auction donations from family, friends, and local businesses. The proceeds from the dinner and silent auction will go to Addario's Global ROS1 Initiative. Once again we were supported by loved ones and friends from work and from the poetry and philanthropy communities. Thank you dear ones! Readers, if you are in Nashville, go eat at Lyra the next chance you have! You will love it!

All in all, it has been a week of community gatherings in the cause of lung cancer research. I stand in awe of the support everyone has shown us! John and I are both pretty exhausted, but happy to have been a part of making a contribution to the cause.
Menu from Addario Dinner


1 comment:

  1. Monica and her husband Scott are good friends of mine and my husband's. I'm so glad you got to meet each other!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! It should appear here within 24 hours.

  And so, another year around the sun. Here I am again with the few remaining blossoms on the “memorial” cherry tree we planted 7 birthdays ...