Saturday, March 2, 2019

Eating All the Cake

During the first months after being diagnosed with ROS1 metastatic lung cancer, I took a daily chemotherapy pill, Xalkori, 250mg twice a day. The side-effects were crummy, not as bad as other forms of chemo, but still, I puked a bunch. I lost weight, of course; food wasn't such a pleasure, and I couldn't drink coffee or tea at all, which was a big deal to this caffeine slave. When I started in the clinical trial on lorlatlinib (now called Lorbrena), those GI adverse effects got traded out for others (ridiculously high cholesterol, neuropathy, brain fog), but my appetite returned with a vengeance. Lorbrena, it seems, not only stimulates the appetite; it puts the brakes on both metabolism and the willpower/common sense part of the brain, making a person more inclined to impulsive behavior. As in eating ALL the cake. So all the weight I lost puking on Xalkori came back fast, and then some. And that's fine. I mean, I haven't had to buy an entire closet of new, bigger clothes or anything, but my skinny jeans are having a little rest right now, and I have recently pursued a more careful diet. (Not because I've bought into the patriarchal bullshit on body type, but because it's true that carrying extra weight is not exactly the best way to fight cancer.)

I continue, however, to eat all the cake in other ways: going out to hear live music more nights than I don't; waking up the next day in a house I love, next to someone I love, and who loves me back; sitting at a table with a bunch of writers finding the best words; sharing supper, stories, and gossip with a poet who has been a friend and mentor to me for nearly three decades; tasting the latest shaved fennel salad creation by one of my favorite chef-friends; discovering yet more people my step-daughter and I have in common; sending text messages bouncing off satellites and into the hands of dear ones to make them laugh; reading any old good thing that falls into my hands; going to weekday matinees, and to Mass; taking quick road trips to hang out with the gorgeous weirdos who are my friends (and eat cake); yakking too long and late into the night on the phone with the faraway friends; watching the spring blooms unfurl themselves against still-grey skies; and napping, napping, napping. And that's just in one week! These are just a few of the lovely things I thought would cease to be too soon when I learned I had metastatic disease. And I'm getting to do them all.

I teased my husband after he retired from over three decades of teaching by getting him some business cards that read John Mathenia, Bon Vivant. Now, I'd like to get a set for myself, perhaps adding the word "Grateful" to the title of Bon Vivant. Mostly I'm grateful because in those moments when I am busy eating all the cake, I'm not thinking about being a person with cancer.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It should appear here within 24 hours.

  And so, another year around the sun. Here I am again with the few remaining blossoms on the “memorial” cherry tree we planted 7 birthdays ...