Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Double Nickel and a Tree

It's the first day of spring, officially. It's also my birthday, the double nickel year -- 55. A few months ago I wasn't so sure I'd even see this day, but here it is, and here I am, grateful and humbled by the grace and science that has put me here and kept me here. I am grateful as well for all the good wishes, wonderful food, and lovely gifts that have come my way in honor of this day.

It's certainly been an eventful day, full of light and shadows. We had an active shooter drill on campus this morning, so that was no fun at all, and a grim reminder of what I have come to think of as the Great American Sickness, worse, even, than cancer. But, after the drill, I made my way to a fabulous story slam arranged by two of our amazing speech teachers. The students who participated told wonderful stories of strength, sorrow, redemption, hilarity, and determination. I came away inspired and affirmed once again in knowing the healing power of storytelling, perhaps our greatest natural resource.

This afternoon, my husband John and I planted a weeping cherry tree in the backyard. I'd ruminated about my upcoming birthday in an earlier post, and one of my friends suggested that I plant a tree in honor of the season, which I thought was a great idea. I chose a weeping cherry simply because I've always loved them. We found a small one at a local nursery this past weekend; it had mostly already bloomed, but there were still enough blossoms left on the branches to enjoy, and I think of them as harbingers of springs to come. As we put the tree in the ground and filled in the hole, I asked for yet more grace. I hope I'll get to see that tree bloom for many more springs. As I write, the temperature has dropped, and today's misty rain has turned into a light snow. Spring indeed.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday, Leslie (and on my most favorite day of the year) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty tree, and a great idea for double nickled days <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your heart's in every blossom--
    Petals fall but new ones will take their place
    and spread the beauty that is you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a lovely poem!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I thought about it as I was listening to your tiny poem presentation! XOXO

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday and what a beautiful tree!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! It should appear here within 24 hours.

  And so, another year around the sun. Here I am again with the few remaining blossoms on the “memorial” cherry tree we planted 7 birthdays ...