Wednesday, August 29, 2018

The Money Thermometer

I wanted to write some sort of witty post that would make readers laugh and set everyone at ease so I could ask you all for money. (I promise it's not for me. Well actually it is, sort of, but I'll get to that.) Anyway, as I tried to write that witty, magic, purse-and-wallet-opening post, every pathology I've ever developed from my semi-abusive, co-dependent relationship with capitalism and the free-market economy came crashing down on my psyche, and all I could think about was the money thermometer. You know, those thermometer illustrations non-profit organizations use to show how their fund drives are going?  Well, I started imagining what one would look like showing off my fundraising efforts for lung cancer research, and it was kind of embarrassing.

Oh, you didn't know I was raising money for lung cancer research? Hmmm, that might explain why my imaginary money thermometer is recording sub-zero temperatures.

So I guess I'd better get on it, right? I know, I know...so many worthy causes out there! How does one choose? For me, this year, the choice was easy and obvious. In fact, it wasn't even a choice; it was a directive.

I am a direct beneficiary of on-going lung cancer research. In May of 2018, I learned my first-line, standard-of-care treatment failed, and the lung cancer that had been kept in check by crizotinib had mutated, gotten loose, and had metastasized to my brain.  Thankfully, I was fortunate enough to enter a clinical trial for a breakthrough targeted therapy that has gotten the metastatic disease under control. In May, I didn't know if I would live through the summer. This week, I gratefully went back to my teaching job. While the doctors don't know exactly how long this new treatment will keep the cancer in check (average progression-free-survival on lorlatinib is around 20 months), and we don't know yet what my next line of treatment will be, I remain optimistic that, with the help of continued research funding, the science will outpace the disease. (Fingers and toes crossed and prayers for clean September scans please!) I'm lucky. There is actually more than one line of treatment for my type of lung cancer. Many other lung cancer patients have even more limited options than I do!*

As I've noted here before, lung cancer is one of the most deadly cancers, one of the most stigmatized, and, as a result, one of the least funded in terms of research. Science has made some amazing advances in treatment in the last decade with new immunotherapies and targeted therapies, but more people are still dying from lung cancer than they are from breast, colorectal, and prostate cancers combined. Did you know that breast cancer has a 90% five-year survival rate? That's due to substantial early detection practices and decades of generous and reliable research funding. The five-year survival rate for lung cancer is 18% if detected early. See more interesting statistics here: Lung Cancer Facts.

So if you didn't know it before, you know it now. I'm raising money for lung cancer research. As long as I live or until there is a cure, I will be raising money for lung cancer research. I'll try not to be too obnoxious about it. But I'm going to ask. And ask. And ask. And if you don't feel you can help this time, that's totally okay. I'll ask again. And again. There will be ample opportunity. And when the spirit moves you at last, you can help by donating to one of the projects listed here: Giving to Research. I don't have any material incentive to offer, other than the tax breaks my particular pet projects bring you. There's no swag. No one will say your name on the radio or TV. But you'll know what you did. And what you did, it's real good, my friend, real good! You don't need a money thermometer to tell you that.


*In memory of my classmate, Renee Nasby Baker, who lost her life to lung cancer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It should appear here within 24 hours.

  And so, another year around the sun. Here I am again with the few remaining blossoms on the “memorial” cherry tree we planted 7 birthdays ...