Saturday, April 30, 2022

Not a Gardener & No Scans

I'm not a gardener, but I do garden. Having a garden, for me, is not so much an exercise in futility as it
is in benign neglect. I put some seeds/plants in the ground, water them, try to keep the weeds down, toss my hands up at the first sign of blight, and mostly let the plants manage on their own. We end up with some pails of cherry tomatoes and basil for pesto and enough fresh herbs to keep our summer fare savory. Husband complains how, after paying for all the stuff one needs for a little urban container garden, our Sweet 100s are the most expensive tomatoes in town. But we eat them in caprese salads all summer long.

Here's the remarkable thing. I'm here another year to watch my peonies unfold. Soon I'll get to see the hydrangeas cheer on the yard with their pink and periwinkle and white pom-poms. Again. So I sing a little song as I dig around in the dirt:"You can't always get what you plant/You can't always get what you plant/But if you try some time/You just might find/you get what you seed...yeah yeah...you get what you seed.

And just like that April is over. It has been a BIG month involving a BIG and beautiful shift in my reality that, at the moment, I am not ready to share publicly. But it's a really really really good change, miraculous even, and it has nothing to do with cancer. I hope to be able to write about it here, or in some other way sometime soon, but right now, I'm sitting with my new reality in a quiet all-to-myself kind of joy, which feels like the right way to be just now.

That said, I also don't have any cancer news to report about myself, anyway. I had to reschedule scans, which were supposed to happen this past week, but didn't, because I came down with a nasty bout of covid. That was no damn fun. Thankfully, the antiviral has worked pretty well, and I made a pretty quick recovery except for a lingering cough, a constant low grade headache, and fatigue. Husband got it too and is recovering. Each day is better than the one before.

So, stay tuned for May, for news of those upcoming scans, and a bit of news on the cancer advocacy side of things. The ROS1ders have some things brewing for the coming months, and it's gonna be GREAT!

Thank you for your continued love, prayers, and support. 



1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 01, 2022

    You are a terrible tease but I am excited to hear about this huge event. I love your writing and can relate so much as you well know.
    And you gotta love those little cherry tomatoes you can pick and eat a few minutes later. It doesn’t get any better.
    Carry on, my friend, with your bad self.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! It should appear here within 24 hours.

  And so, another year around the sun. Here I am again with the few remaining blossoms on the “memorial” cherry tree we planted 7 birthdays ...